History of the Church

History of the Church

Our journey

Grace Presbyterian (formerly Lisbon Orthodox Presbyterian) Church has its roots in the former United Presbyterian Church (UPC). In 1958 the UPC denomination united with the Presbyterian Church United States of America (PCUSA). The PCUSA adhered to liberal doctrine and began to deny fundamental Scriptural principles, so forty five members of the Lisbon UPC, including the Rev. Peter Vosteen, left the denomination to seek one which adhered to Scriptural principles. Two denominations were considered for union – the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) and the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC). The OPC (founded in 1936) was selected as it was the ‘back-to-the-bible movement’ in the Presbyterian family of churches and was the best fit for the group. 

The Lisbon Orthodox Presbyterian Church held its first service on November 2, 1958 at the Lisbon Reformed Presbyterian Church. Representatives from the OPC presbytery examined each individual desiring membership and the Lisbon OPC was incorporated in the State of New York on May 20, 1960. The church was declared a congregation by the Presbytery of New York and New England on December 15, 1958. The church building was constructed and the first worship service in the new building was held in January 1963. Her lit steeple has become a landmark in Lisbon as it is symbolic of the light of Christ shining in a dark world. 

Since the church was established, she has been blessed with eight successive pastors and a wonderful church family, that has been marked by her warm welcoming love and piety, devoted to the God inspired Scriptures. And we would love for you to join us as we take part in the most important activity we could ever take part in, the worship of our Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.